Visit Our Headquarters: http://uupinfo.org
What is UUP? Who are we?
United University Professions (UUP) is the union representing more than 34,000 academic and professional faculty on 29 State University of New York campuses, plus Central Administration, and Empire State College. UUP is affiliated with the New York State United Teachers and the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO.
With some 800 job titles included in the bargaining unit, UUP reflects the diversity of the State University. Members include:
- Academic Faculty
- Student Affairs Personnel
- Public Relations Personnel
- Doctors, Dentists, Nurses and other professionals at teaching hospitals and health science centers.
- Graphic Artists
- Student Recruitment Professionals
- Instructors in the Educational Opportunities Center
- Financial Aid Counselors
- Central Administration Staff
- Performing Artists in the New York State Theatre Institute
- Student Resident Hall Personnel
- Admissions Counselors
As the largest higher education union in the nation, UUP is also a source for information on labor unions, state work force and bargaining issues, higher education reform, college faculty concerns and a variety of higher education topics. [from UUP]
Why is the union important?
“UUP represents SUNY Faculty and other professionals at the bargaining table and works to protect their interests by:
- Achieving improvements in salary, fringe benefits, working conditions and retirement programs.
- Providing funding for professional growth and development through leaves, awards, conferences and other grant programs.
- Obtaining state resources for the state university through effective legislative and political action.
- Seeking to enhance and preserve the quality of the university.” [Welcome to UUP]
“NYSUT is more than 600,000 people who work in, or are retired from, New York’s schools, colleges, and healthcare facilities. We are classroom teachers, college and university faculty and professional staff, school bus drivers, custodians, secretaries, cafeteria workers, teacher assistants and aides, nurses and healthcare technicians.
NYSUT is a federation of more than 1,200 local unions, each representing its own members. We are affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and the National Education Association (NEA). We are also part of organized labor – the AFL-CIO – and of Education International, with more than 20 million members world wide.
We range in size from tiny locals of fewer than 10 members to the United Federation of Teachers, which represents more than 140,000 teachers and other school employees in New York City.
We are dedicated to improving not only our working conditions, but also our professions. We’re united in a common commitment to improve the quality of education and healthcare for the people of New York..” [NYSUT: About Us]
“The American Federation of Teachers is a union of professionals that champions fairness; democracy; economic opportunity; and high-quality public education, healthcare and public services for our students, their families and our communities. We are committed to advancing these principles through community engagement, organizing, collective bargaining and political activism, and especially through the work our members do.” [AFT: About Us]